Dr. Rakesh S Joshi
Medical Superintendent, Civil Hospital- Ahmedabad
& Professor and Head of Department of Pediatric Surgery,
B.J. Medical College and Civil Hospital,Ahmedabad.
Date of Birth
26 August, 1971
Education and Qualifications
- M.B.B.S: PSMC, Karamsad, 1994.
- M.S (General Surgery): Smt. NHL MMC, Ahmedabad, 1998.
- M.Ch (Pediatric Surgery): Smt NHL MMC, Ahmedabad, 2002.
- DNB in Pediatric Surgery: 2002.
- MNANS in Pediatric surgery :2002
- Fellow of Society of Pediatric Urologists: 2021
- Working as Additional Medical Superintendent on 3rd May 2020.
- Part of the core team successfully managing the 1200 bed Covid hospital since 3rd May 2020.
- Worked as the administrative incharge of the Manjushree hospital, establishing a 500 bed covid facilty from the scratch and managed successfully from 7th April to 11th June 2021.
- Working as Professor and Head of the Pediatric Surgery department since 2012, heading a team which handles around 2000- 2500 emergency and planned surgeries yearly.
- Clinical Assistant in Pediatric Surgery: 6 months
- Assistant Professor in Pediatric Surgery:- 6 years
- Associate Professor in Pediatric Surgery:- 4 years
- Professor in Pediatric Surgery:- since 22/8/2012 till date.
Currently member of
- IMA (Indian Medical Association)
- IAPS (Indian Association of Pediatric Surgery)
- SPU (Society of Pediatric Urology)
- Served as EC member of IAPS from 2018-2020
- President of PSMC Alumni association (PAA) for more than 10 years
Areas of interest:
- Exstrophy and Epispadias surgery.
- Hypospadias surgery.
- Minimal Invasive surgery.
Awards and Achievements:-
- MBBS: Gold Medalist, SP University.
- M.Ch: 1st Rank Gujarat University.
- First prize for podium presentation on Exstrophy Bladder at SPU 65th Annual Meeting at Boston, USA (2017)
- Awarded the MAGPIE Tie for special contribution to Pediatric Urology by Dr.Douglas Canning (Director of Pediatric Urology) and Dr.Aseem Shukla (Director of Minimally invasive surgery) of Childrens Hospital of Philadelphia, USA. (2015)
- Board member of the international Association of Bladder Exstrophy community (ABEC) (2015)
- Recipient of the first “Richard Grady Humanitarian Award” for outstanding work in Bladder exstrophy in 2018
- Recipient of award for ‘Pediatric Surgery Awareness week’ activities three times at national conference (2016,2017, 2018)
- Recognition of outstanding work during Covid pandemic as a Covid star by administrative authorities.
- Published many papers in National and International Journals.
- Presented papers and Posters in various National and International conferences.
- P.G teacher in Pediatric Surgery in Gujarat University
- M.Ch examiner in Pediatric Surgery.
- DNB examiner in Pediatric Surgery.
- Faculty at national conferences of Pediatric Surgery and Pediatric Urology
- Faculty and delivered talks at international conferences on Pediatric Urology in Germany and Doha
Publications & Research Papers
- 1. Chapters in textbooks – 2
- a. Pediatric Urology and Global health –Why now and how to build a successful outreach programme (North American Journal)
- b. Splenic Disorders (IAPS Textbook of Pediatric Surgery)
- 2. International Publications – 4
- a. Single stage transanal pullthrough for Hirschsprung disease in neonates – our early experience (Journal of Neonatal Surgery)
- b. Extrahepatic biliary atresia in association with polysplenia and intestinal malrotation (Journal of neonatal Surgery)
- c. Persistent Cloaca associated with unilateral lung agenesis – a rare presentation (Journal of Neonatal Surgery)
- d. A Model for sustained collaboration to address the unmet global burden of Bladder Exstrohy-Epispadias complex and Penopubic epsispadias (JAMA Surgery – one of the most reputed international journals)
- e. Laparoscopic pyloromyotomy for congenital hypertrophic pyloric stenosis: Our experience with twenty cases. Ramji J, Joshi RS Afr J Paediatr Surg 2020
- f. Variant of Bladder Exstrophy with an Intact Penis: Surgical Options and Approach – Jaishri Ramji, Sahar Eftekharzadeh, Katherine M. Fischer, Rakesh S. Joshi,Pramod P. Reddy, Joao Variant of Bladder Exstrophy with an Intact Penis: Surgical Options and Approach – Jaishri Ramji, Sahar Eftekharzadeh, Katherine M. Fischer, Rakesh S. Joshi,Pramod P. Reddy, Joao Luiz Pippi-Salle, Jennifer R. Frazier, Dana A. Weiss, Douglas A. Canning, and Aseem R. Shukla: UROLOGY 00: 1−3, 2020.
- g. Impact of bilateral ureteral reimplantation at the time of complete primary repair of bladder exstrophy on reflux rates, renogram abnormalities and bladder capacity – J. Ramji, D.A. Weiss, R.L.P. Romao, S. Eftekharzadeh, J. Shah, J.R. Frazier, P.P. Reddy, P.A. Merguerian, J.L. Pippi Salle, D.A. Canning, R.S. Joshi, A.R. Shukla. Journal of Pediatric Urology,2021,ISSN14775131,https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpuro l.2021.01.020
- 3. National Publications – 2
- a. The Bracka two-stage repair for severe proximal hypospadias – a single centre experience ( JIAPS)
- b. Early results of Exstrophy Bladder repair – experience of 36 cases (Journal of Progress in Pediatric Urology) Abstract presented in the 8th Biennial meeting of Indian Society for Pediatric Urology, Asian Society of Pediatric Urology in association with Pediatric Urology chapter of IAPS and Delhi Chapter of IAPS
- 4. State / Local -2
- a. Neonatal Obstruction – Four year experience (BJKines – NJBAS)
- b. A prospective study of antenatal and clinical suspected duodenal obstruction with their etiological diversities (BJKines – NJBAS)
Conducting a special international collaborative workshop on Bladder Exstrophy-Epispadias for 12 years (from 2009), where more than 200 patients with this complex urological anomaly have been cared for. The collaborative has been ongoing with experts from renowned hospitals like Childrens Hospital of Philadelphia, Cincinnati Childrens Hospital and Seattle Childrens Hospital. The Department of Pediatric Surgery was recognized as “A Centre Of Excellence for Bladder Exstrophy” in January 2020.
More than 100 success stories of Neonates and children with rare and challenging cases have been published, the notable ones being:
- Surgery on a 10 month old child with fetus in fetu
- Removal of various foreign bodies from the respiratory tract like LED bulb, screw and earring
- Laser treatment of traumatic bronchial stenosis
- Removal of an impacted screw from a two year old boy’s intestine.
- Surgery to remove bullets from the lung of a girl accidentally injured by an airgun.
- Survival of a young boy with multiple injuries operated for stomach perforation
- Successful surgery for gastroschisis on an abandoned baby girl found in a critical condition